Hi friends! It’s been a while since I wrote a post about essential oils, so I wanted to pop in and tell you about one I use every single day: lemon essential oil. The cleansing, purifying, and invigorating properties of lemon oil truly make it “essential” in our home!
As I’ve told you before, one of my favorite ways to start my day is to add lemon to a glass of warm water and drink it down first thing in the morning to naturally cleanse my body of toxins and aid in digestion.
In addition, due to its fresh citrusy scent, I love using lemon essential oil in my diffuser to uplift and energize my spirits, clear my mind, and help me focus.
But today, I want to share the ways I use lemon essential oil to clean and enhance our home.
Lemon essential oil is an amazingly powerful cleansing agent. It purifies both the air and surfaces, making it a great substitute for the harsh chemicals used in many cleaners. Essential oils also work as natural deodorizers, without the artificial fragrances used in some products.
If you’re looking for ways to cut down on the amount of chemicals and toxins you use in your household, too, follow along as I share a few of the ways you can use lemon essential oil throughout your home.
Green Cleaning with Lemon Essential Oil
- Add 5 to 6 drops of lemon oil to one ounce of water in a spray bottle to clean, disinfect and deodorize countertops, sinks, tables, wood cutting boards, appliances and other surfaces.
- To make a great furniture polish, simply add a few drops of lemon essential oil to a bit of olive oil and apply with a rag to clean, protect, and shine wood finishes.
- For sparkling dishes, add a few drops of lemon oil to dishwater or to the floor of your dishwasher.
- Use a few drops on stainless steel appliances in the kitchen to clean and shine.
- Add 5-10 drops lemon essential oil to your natural window cleaner, or make your own by combining 4 oz. white vinegar with 5-6 drops of lemon essential oil in a spray bottle. Shake to mix.
- Add 10–15 drops of lemon essential oil to a gallon of natural carpet cleaning solution to help pull out stains, brighten carpets and rugs and leave a fresh smell in the room.
- Use as a stain remover for laundry. Simply add 12-15 drops of lemon essential oil to a bottle of liquid detergent. Mix well, and then add to your wash as you normally would. For softening fabrics, add 6 drops of lemon essential oil to 1 cup of white vinegar and use as a liquid fabric softener during your wash cycle.
- In the dryer, you can add essential oils to wool dryer balls or a washcloth to lightly scent your clothes. Don’t add essential oils directly to your fabrics, as they can cause damage.
- Use 1–2 drops of lemon oil to remove gum, oil, grease spots, adhesive, and crayon from most surfaces.
- Place a few drops of lemon essential oil on a cotton ball and place in the refrigerator or garbage can to eliminate odors.
- Add lemon essential oil to baking soda and water and use as an all natural soft scrub.
- To clean and increase the shelf life of fresh fruits and vegetables, fill a bowl with cool water and 2 to 3 drops of lemon essential oil. Stir, then place your produce in the water and make sure all surfaces come into contact with the lemon water.
- Place sponges and dish cloths in a bowl of water with 1 to 2 drops of lemon essential oil and soak overnight to kill germs.
- Fight mildew in the bathroom by mixing 10 drops lemon oil with 2 ounces of water in a small spray bottle and spray areas with mildew.
- Make your own air freshener by adding 30 drops of lemon oil to water in a 4 oz. spray bottle. Shake well before using.
- Or, put a few drops of lemon oil on the inside of your toilet paper roll for an instant air freshener every time you roll!
- For paint fumes, add an entire 15 ml. bottle of lemon essential oil to a 5 gallon bucket of paint. Mix the oil into the paint by stirring vigorously.
- In the shower, with the water turned on, place a few drops of lemon oil on the shower floor as you enter to help invigorate and refresh.
- For a natural hand sanitizer, rub a drop of lemon oil on your hands. Lemon is incredibly effective against germs.
- Diffuse throughout the room to freshen the air and uplift your spirits.
If you’d like to learn more ways to use essential oils, check out these previous posts:
- 13 Essential Oil Blends for Your Diffuser
- Happy Skin Spray
- Nature’s Stress Relievers: Essential Oils
- Blissful Sleep Essential Oil Spray
- The Gift of Frankincense
- Happiness Essential Oil Blend
- Wild Orange Essential Oil
Note: I use and love doTerra essential oils, but essential oils are readily available at health food stores and through Amazon. If you’re interested in purchasing doTerra oils directly, please contact me.
Directions for Use:
Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas. Avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying product to skin.