Hi friends! I hope you had a wonderful weekend. This week’s mood board is based on our sunny hearth room, which sits just off our kitchen. Although we have a larger TV room/family room in the basement, 90% of the time this is where my husband and I end up watching TV, reading, and scrolling through IG (for me). I thought I’d share this design with you as an alternative to a typical dark and masculine media room, because we enjoy its relaxed and breezy vibe so much.
Before I move on to the particulars of this space, I have to tell you that I LOVE our slipcovered chairs. About once a month, I pull the slipcovers off and throw them in the washing machine. I wash them in cold water and then let them air dry. If they’re really dirty, I add a little bleach to the washing machine.
I keep an extra set of slipcovers on hand so I can just pop a clean set on while the others dry. If you don’t have an extra set, I recommend putting the slipcovers back on your chairs when they’re still slightly damp. This makes them easier to put on, because they have a bit more give when they’re damp. By the way, IKEA is a great source for slipcovers. They’re super affordable, and even though our chair frames aren’t from IKEA, their slipcovers fit really well.
Some things I’ve included in my mood board and which I think are essential in a space like this:
- cozy seating with slipcovers–since our space is limited, we’re using chairs in our hearth room; however, I think a slipcovered sofa or sectional would be ideal in a space meant for relaxing, like this one
- textiles and textures to add interest
- sturdy tables to hold extra lighting and drinks
- great lighting for reading
- overhead lighting–I like to use a fabric or woven shade to soften a space like this
- a TV stand (unless your TV hangs on the wall, like ours)
- a cozy throw
- a soft rug (or two) underfoot
- flowers and plants
- inspiring artwork
- and it wouldn’t be much of a media room without a TV–I included Samsung’s Frame TV, which looks like a piece of artwork when not in use!
Sources shown in the mood board are linked below.
Mood Board Monday – a Relaxed, Coastal-Inspired Media Space
Wood and Lacquer Console // Slipcovered Chair // Slipcovered Sectional Option // IKEA Slipcovers
Linen Light Fixture // Round Coffee Table // Jute Rug // Dash and Albert Blue and White Rug
Artwork // White Side Table // Fig Tree // Basket // White Lamps
Brass Task Lamp // Striped Throw // Pink Pillow // Blue Vase // Samsung Frame TV
Mudcloth Pillow Cover // Faux Hydrangea // Terrarium // Candle