I’m far from an expert when it comes to fashion. In fact, I think I’ve committed nearly every fashion faux pas.
In a quest to save money, too often I’ve shopped the sales racks and been suckered into buying things that weren’t flattering, simply because they were inexpensive.
However, I’m trying to do better, and over the past couple of years I’ve been concentrating on putting together a simple, basic wardrobe made up of pieces that work together and never go out of style. (Plus, the de-cluttering project I undertook after reading Marie Kondo’s book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, has helped me whittle down my wardrobe to a manageable level.)
The great part is, having a pared-down, timeless wardrobe truly takes the guesswork out of getting dressed each day! With these 10 items on hand, I always know what to wear for any occasion.
Following is my take on 10 classic pieces that I think would be great additions to every woman’s wardrobe.
Best of all, you can count on these items being in style for several years to come, which will save you a lot of money!
These core pieces will help you look pulled together for almost any occasion: a job interview, work, a special night out, a PTA meeting, or even running errands.
What to Wear: 10 Wardrobe Pieces that Never Go out of Style
- Trench Coat in tan;
- Fitted Blazer in Navy, Grey, or Black;
- Button Down Shirt in White, Black, or Navy;
- Slim Skirt in Black or Tan;
- Riding Boots in Black or Brown;
- Dark Slim Jeans (an ankle length works well with both boots and flats);
- A Sheath Dress in Black, Navy, or Grey;
- White Slim Jeans;
- A Leather Tote in Black or Brown; and
- Tank Tops in White, Black, and Navy. My favorites are Eddie Bauer’s cotton knit tanks — they’re great both on their own and under jackets.
To these 10 wardrobe basics, add:
- Shoes – a great pair of heels (you can’t go wrong with patent pumps in black), ballet flats in fun colors and prints (try leopard print);
- Jewelry – a classic men’s-style watch in silver, gold, or tortoise; silver or gold hoop earrings, diamond (or faux diamond) stud earrings; a great pair of sunglasses; and
- Scarves – this is where you can really add some pizazz with colors and prints.